Rain stopped the play but atleast Martin Crowe can soar

Read the article of Rain stopped the play but atleast Martin Crowe can soar - Benson & Hedges World Series Cup one-day international tournament of the 1st ODI match played between New Zealand and Australia at Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne in 09th January 1986.

Rain stopped the play but atleast Martin Crowe can soar in the opening match of a Benson and Hedges World Series Cup.

It was a matter of the storm, the tempest and another storm at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, In the end, the Benson and Hedges World Series Cup match between Australia and New Zealand had to be abandoned because of a heavy rain. But not before a patient crowd of 39,023, have with windcheaters, waterproofs and umbrellas, had survived the tempest, the dramatic batting performance by New Zealand's emerging champion, Martin Crowe.

Martin Crowe played with extraordinary maturity and nous for a 23-year-old making his 21st appearance in a One-day international, At no stage did he play recklessly or try to hammered his runs. Instead he brilliantly used the vast spaces of the Melbourne Cricket Ground, always placing the ball accurately and running hard. Indeed, he was in a lather of sweat throughout his 83-minute innings for 71, from facing 57 balls, which lifted his aggregate of runs in this form of cricket past 1,000.

Given the required to score at a insane rate, not to mention the moisture in the air and underfoot, his innings was quite uncommon, Over the years, very few players have been steadily successful at making the transition from the pure form of the game to the condensed variety.

Viv Richards, David Gower and Allan Border are the most notable exceptions to the rule and Crowe demonstrated last night that he may soon be bracketed with them. But for his memorable solo, it was a most disappointing affair. The first rain came after just 11 minutes and 2.4 overs of the match when New Zealand, having been sent in to bat by Allan Border, had gathered a solitary single.

After a three-hour break when the MCG ground staff worked frantically and impressively in the hope of a resumption, the referee, Mr Bob Parish, reduced the match to a 31-over contest. The Australians failed to bowl their quota and New Zealand, with a minimum of fuss, reached 7-161 from 29 overs. Just as undefeated batsmen Bruce Blair and Ervin McSweeney were leaving the ground, the rain started again and at 9.08 pm Mr Parish was compelled to abandon the game.

Each team takes a point from the match and the $5,000 prize money will jackpot and double the purse on offer when the teams next meet, in Sydney on Tuesday. However the Australians must first play India at Brisbane on Sunday. On Saturday, New Zealand will confront India at the Gabba.

Crowe's innings was a gem in the context of the one-day game. He played intelligently, shrewdly throughout, again placing the Australian fieldsmen under extreme pressure. He hit just four boundaries but constantly wrong-footed the Australians by taking 19 singles and 18 twos.